We asked our denim experts for their top tips to keep their favourite denim looking like new, and how to break them in just right. Follow these easy care suggestions to keep your denim looking and feeling its best.
- Wash dark denim before the first wear to prevent dyes from bleeding. Add 12 cup of white vinegar to the water when you was your jeans for the very first time to set dark dye.
- Launder jeans only one or twice a month. It is best to wash jeans by hand using a mild liquid detergent; however you may also machine wash using a cold setting.
- Air dry flat to retain shape. Only use the dryer for denim if your goal is shrinkage. If you choose to use the dryer, dry on low heat for 20 minutes max then air dry the rest of the way.
- If you think your jeans need to be hemmed, wash them first. Denim tends to shrink length-wise and hemming beforehand can leave you with unintended high waters.
- If you want a broken in look, spray your jeans with water as you're wearing them arund the house to get natural creases and wornin effects
- To keep your denim fresh between washing, rub them with a dryer-sheet. You can also spray them with a fabric refresher or hang them outside.